Monday, April 2, 2012

Preview of IPL and my reasons to watch

Hello friends,
The IPL is almost upon us and while some of us are going ‘uh-oh, another loooooong meaningless series of T20s’, I am not that negative about it. I am not looking forward to it and crossing days off my calendar in anticipation, but I do have some reasons to look forward and watch the IPL which I will share with you all now.
First and foremost, I have always said, is the fact that IPL is tension-free cricket watching. I welcome a tournament where I don’t have to bite my nails in extreme tension, or get overly frustrated when my team loses. I treat the IPL like watching a good masala movie with all the ingredients where I watch with interest, get entertained and forget about it soon after. Also, like I said in my previous post, I am going to follow the performances of certain players while also keeping an eye out for potential talent that will help India in the future. A good fast-bowling allrounder, a nimble wicketkeeper that can bat,  some bowlers who can bowl at 140+, bowlers who can bowl yorkers, spinners who can bowl in pressure situations are some of the skill sets that I will be looking out for. Besides these, as always, there is the interest in watching certain players perform like Manoj Tiwary, Robin Uthappa, Rahul Sharma, Iqbal Abdulla, Irfan and Yusuf Pathan, Manish Pandey, Munaf Patel and some others that I cannot recall at this time. I also watch some overseas players with interest like Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard, Albie Morkel, AB de Villiers, Sunil Narine and a few others.
Looking at the teams, I think the strong teams this year are CSK, MI, RCB and KKR. The others are ok, but these look the strongest and most balanced just like last year. One person I will miss a lot is Yuvraj Singh. I hope he gets back to normal very soon and can come back and perform for India just like he did before his illness. Let me now write about a few random thoughts regarding some of the teams and players.
I read the article that Sachin has handed over the captaincy of MI to Harbhajan. Unlike some media people and fans are thinking, I don’t read too much into the decision in terms of Sachin wanting to lighten his load so that he can ease his way out of cricket or stuff like that. I think it is purely a decision based on the fact that MI have done well with Harbhajan as captain and now that the pressure of the 100th hundred is gone, probably Sachin wants to reduce further stress on himself by not captaining MI. Maybe he is also looking to play fewer games this year so if he is just a player, it would be easier to sit him out of a few games.
One man was responsible for making the 2011 IPL very popular with the crowds – Chris Gayle. I am looking forward to seeing him bat this year as well. When he is at the crease, it is like watching a very good thriller movie, you never know what to expect next. I thoroughly enjoy his hitting and make an effort to not miss any of his innings.
This IPL is a good chance for some of India’s ‘fringe’ cricketers to stake claims for themselves considering there are some slots available in the team. Players like Manoj Tiwary, Robin Uthappa, Rahul Sharma should grab their chances and look to impress with their performances. Consistency is what I look for. I would be happier if a batsman made 40s in 10 of the 16 league games, as opposed of 3 or 4 60s and 70s along with 1 hundred in 16 games. In the bowlers, I will be looking for variety and control more than results. So I would prefer a bowler who bowls good slower balls and yorkers and has control over his line and length, rather than someone who goes for 8+ runs an over but takes 15-20 wickets in total. The core Indian team is pretty much settled at this time, we need some specific skills, especially in the bowling department and that is what I will be looking for from this year’s IPL.
There are some cricketers who are not quite in the national reckoning, but are quite talented and this could be a break-through year for them. I will keep an eye out for such cricketers as well. Some names that come to mind are Shami Ahmed, Suryakumar Yadav, Ali Murtaza, KP Appanna, Harshal Patel, Vijay Zol.
So as you can see, there are some solid reasons for following and watching this year’s IPL. Lets hope for some good entertainment in the next few weeks and that we can spot some good talent that will serve Indian cricket well in the future. I will post on this blog from time to time during the IPL, so stay tuned.
Cheers.

5 comments:

  1. Great Article! I'll be watching closely Richard Levi from South Africa. I saw couple of innings where he clobberd bowlers to all parts of the ground. He is solidly built and the way he plays it looks like lamb in the hands of a butcher. His monstrous hitting attracted me. As we speak he already passed 50 in the inaugral match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, IPL is a great masala. However, I would like to see CSK win. My favorite players will be all active young Indian team players. I really like our guys to shine, and I would like to see more of their analysis in future IPL posts in this blog. My least favorite teams are those captained by non-indian player. Someday if CSK will have a non-indian captain - it will not be my favorite team anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good motivation Giri. I will be watching highlights though. The stamina to watch cricket is going down big time :-)

    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome article Giri!!! Your cricket love is immense and we can't match with it :) kidding, but to be frank, IPL is coming in a time we fed p with regular serieses. Not generating any interest except to see it in cricinfo once a while. But I agree with the facts that treat it as a masala movie with no tention and enjoy it. But again timings are odd for us

    ReplyDelete
  5. U mentioned all the reasons 2 watch IPL. I agree with u, its tension-free cricket, no more biting nails etc. Plus u keep an eye out for talent, and India needs a few, atleast in bowling dept.

    After a few initial matches, this is my take on it so far ...

    RCB - Mr. Batliwala will be embarrassed to C that "there r some things batli/money can't buy, for other things there's always a Batli". Very strong team on paper. Gayle himself is 50% of the team. Kohli is in the form of his life. Should be the semifinalists atleast.

    Daredevils - "The devil is in the details, Mr. Sehwag ;-)". Irfan needs to be utilized as a batsman. I don't know why he is looked as a bowling allrounder, he is a batting allrounder. If only he improves his bowling a bit more. Sehwag is a flop so far, I think his batting is no longer like b4, some doubts seem 2 have cropped up in his mind as he is a mental player than a technical player.

    Warriors - As the name suggests, this team will grind it out like a "Warrior". Good going so far for Ganguly the captain. On paper it seems weakest, especially in the bowling dept. but they hv surprised me. Uththappa's chance for redemption.

    Rajasthan Royals - Contrary to their name, no royalty here, pretty pedestrian team on Paper. Weak on paper like Warriors, but doing well so far. Dravid seems 2 be playing with > 100% strike rate. Rahane was beautiful in the first match. Bowling is a bit weak, hopefully Cooper & Botha can carry them along.

    Mumbai Indians - Ambani has one of the costliest mansions in Mumbai & "Reliance energy" is reflected in the team as well. This team shows what "money can buy". Very strong on paper. They have all the strong players & a problem of Plenty. Ideally they should be one of the finalists, but IPL can often surprise.

    KKR - Another strong team on paper, poor performance so far. I think Gambhir is unable to coordinate people so far. Yusuf needs to fire, he is the million dollar recruit for them. Bowling is good, anchored by Lee.

    CSK - This time they will not win. My prediction. Dhoni's team pattern is it does bad in the beginning & then catches up in the middle & late phases, and goes on to win. Lets C.

    DC - one of the weakest teams on paper. Don't have any big players as such.

    ReplyDelete